First coronavirus patient leaves the hospital on the Gold Coast

By Juliano Oliveira

An 8-year-old-Chinese-boy who had been confirmed with novel coronavirus left the hospital on the Gold Coast on Wednesday (19).

Hospitalized since early February, the child is from Wuhan and, according to Dr Jeannette Young, Chief Health Officer, he is completely recovered.

“I want to provide reassurance to the Gold Coast community that the patient has been clinically cleared by their team and is 100% fit to leave the hospital,” said Ms Young.

“Gold Coast University Hospital staff are doing a tremendous job treating these patients. And the efforts of Gold Coast and the entire Queensland community have been amazing in helping fight the spread of this virus.” 

However, there still is a member of the boy’s family kept in quarantine outside of the hospital – the person will be observed by the doctors for a short period while they clear the 14-day isolation period. 

Queensland Health affirmed that there is no evidence this person has been unwell and also no showing signs of having contracted the virus.

“There have still only been five confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Queensland, the most recent being identified two weeks ago. The remaining Gold Coast University Hospital patients are well. It is possible further family groups may be released over the next week, when medically cleared, and some may require similar further quarantine,” said Ms Young.

If you have been to China in the last 14 days and feel unwell please immediately see a doctor. Please call ahead to the GP surgery or hospital to let them know you may be infected with the novel Coronavirus.